|Ryssby Church, est. 1882.|
This community of settlers quickly established a community life that mirrored what they had left behind in Ryssby, Sweden. During the first years of the community the only framed building in the area, the home of Sven J. Johnson, was used as a church, community center, and schoolhouse. In 1875 a separate schoolhouse was built and church services moved to the new building. In 1877 the Rev. Frederick Lagerman arrived in the community and organized the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Ryssby, Boulder County Colorado. On October 31st, 1881, the cornerstone of the new community church was laid.
The newly constructed church, built on donated land and constructed of sandstone cut from a local quarry and donated by a church member, was designed to reflect the church that the settlers had left behind in their hometown of Ryssby. The church was officially dedicated in 1882 and began serving the spiritual needs of the community shortly thereafter.
Over the next 20 years the Ryssby community continued to prosper and, over time, many of the original settlers left the area to settle on larger and more productive farms closer to Longmont. In 1914 the Elim Congregation invited the Ryssby Congregation to join with them, and the Ryssby church, deprived of a local community, was left empty. The church was effectively abandoned until 1924 when a pastor of the Elim Congregation undertook to begin offering Midsummer and Christmas services in the historic building, a tradition which continues today.
Getting There By Bike...
The church is located on 63rd St., north of Boulder and immediately west of Niwot. The most straight forward way to get there would be to take 61st St. north from Valmont and continue on that street as it becomes 63rd. If a shorter ride is needed you can park in Niwot and follow Niwot Rd. west to 63rd. Make a right and head north for approximately two and a half miles. The church is on the right as you are headed north.