Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Change of Venue, but not of Theme

There is a fairly significant change in the works here at Cycling Through History. Some weeks ago my wife, my cats, and I left the fabulous San Francisco Bay Area and relocated to Denver, CO. So far the move has been wonderful, with great opportunities, bike riding, and weather across the board.

I'm sad to lose proximity to the history of the Bay Area. I've really come to enjoy exploring the dusty nooks and crannies of my adopted cities of the East Bay and I'm sorry to say that, since I can no longer ride my bike through Old Oakland, or explore the waterfront in San Francisco on two wheels, it's time for a change of topic.

I've already begun to immerse myself in the history of Denver, and of the Front Range. I'm excited by new cities and places to visit, new historical figures to learn about, new topics to address, and new roads to ride on with my bicycle. There is a wealth of history in Colorado and I'm looking forward to learning about it and sharing it with all of you.

I'm also in love with the cycling community out here. Denver has nearly 850 miles of paved bike paths throughout the city. There are cyclists everywhere, and at all times of day. On the paths you'll see anything from a family on cruisers to fully equipped roadies, decked out with carbon  fiber everything. I'm having a great time exploring this city and I'm hopeful that, even though I've left an unbelievably great community of cyclists behind in Oakland, I can find a similarly great group of people here.

I hope that the Californians among you will make this transition with me and that the material will remain interesting and relevant. Thanks for reading and giving me reasons to continue learning about and exploring the cities that I live in.

Sam

1 comment:

  1. Happy Exploring! It's always exciting to get to know a new city :-)

    ReplyDelete