Friday, April 6, 2012

Sidewalk Stamps - Alex LaPlant, 1919

Alex LaPlant, Contractor, 1919
On the block surrounding Grand Station, on the corner of Lincoln and Grand in Alameda, there are patches of terracotta colored pavement in the sidewalk and the curbs.  All of this pavement was poured in 1919 by the same contractor, Alex LaPlant, and is heavily marked with his stamp.  I think that this is kind of cool for two reasons:

1. This is the oldest stretch of pavement that I have found in Alameda so far, and I really like that there is a lot of it, patched though it may be, surrounding what was once a rail station.  This is neat because...

2.  Alameda was apparently filled in by small neighborhoods that were initially centered on local rail stations along Lincoln and Encinal.  The oldest pavement that I've found so far centers around these rail stations, while the surrounding neighborhoods have pavement that is newer by a decade or so.  Does this mean that streets, sidewalks, and pavement spread out from thes stations and gradually filled in the city?  I don't know, but I'm intrigued.

I plan on riding out to some other Alameda train stations and look for other pavement stamps to see if my theory holds water.  Now I just need for it not to rain...

No comments:

Post a Comment