|Where the tunnel used to be.|
The digging was begun by Chinese laborers and was initially opposed by Lafayette residents, since they believed that easy access to the undeveloped land of Contra Costa would lead to a land rush and widespread increases in real estate prices. When the tunnel was opened in 1903, it featured a four foot sideways jog in the center of the tunnels length, courtesy of the engineers and diggers who had failed to align the two opposing bores of the tunnel perfectly. The tunnel was a 17-foot wide, single lane passage that was shored up with timbers along the side. It was notoriously dark and damp and could only tolerate one vehicle going one way at a time. There was initially a system of torches that allowed drivers to know whether or not there was already a vehicle in the tunnel, though this was eventually replaced with a more complex system using lanterns.
|E Clampus Vitus marker at the site of the Kennedy Tunnel.|
Getting There By Bike...
|Traffic island at the tunnel entrance.|